The Trainee Interest Group (TIG) is a sub-organization of ISRHML dedicated to undergraduate and graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows. The TIG organizes activities that foster academic and professional growth for trainees within the field of human milk and lactation research.
- Connect trainees with each other and to experts/senior ISRHML members
- Enhance the visibility of trainees to senior ISRHML members to facilitate career advancement
- Expand trainee knowledge related to human milk and lactation research
- Foster academic and professional growth
ISRHML trainee membership is open to undergraduate and graduate students, and post-doctoral fellows who are conducting research related to breastfeeding, human milk, or lactation. Participation and involvement in the TIG is open to trainee members only.
4.0 TIG GOVERNING COMMITTEE
TIG governing committee members shall serve two-year terms. Officers that are re-elected are limited to a maximum of four consecutive years (two terms) for each elected position. Term years will extend from April 1st to March 31st and will last for two years (except President-elect position). The election of various TIG officer positions is staggered to ensure continuity within the governing committee.
The TIG Governing Committee members include:
- President (tie breaker)
- President-elect (voting)
- Secretary (voting)
- Trainee Mentorship Series Coordinator (voting)
- Membership & Recruitment Chair (voting)
- Social Media & Communications Chair (voting)
- Newsletter & Blog Editor (voting)
- Past-President (non-voting)
- Two TIG advisors (non-voting)
4.1 Governing Committee Member Duties
4.1.1 All Members
- All TIG Governing Committee members shall participate in all scheduled conference calls. Failure to participate in at least 60% of conference calls may result in forfeiture of Governing Committee position
- All TIG Governing Committee members shall assist with all TIG sponsored events at ISRHML and ISRHML-affiliated conferences (if attending in-person)
- All TIG Governing Committee members shall volunteer at the TIG booth at ISRHML and ISRHML-affiliated conferences (if attending in-person)
- TIG policies and procedures shall be reviewed every other year as the new TIG President assumes office
4.1.2 President (two-year term)
- Work with ISRHML staff and Executive Committee to coordinate the work of the TIG Governing Committee (including correspondence with the TIG-at-large)
- Participate in ISRHML Executive Committee meetings as a non-voting attendee to help streamline communications between the ISRHML Executive and TIG Governing Committees.
- Orientation of new governing committee officers at the start of their terms
- Attend all TIG webinars/events and represent the TIG-at-large
- Provide strategic oversight to all TIG activities
- Work with ISRHML staff and ISRHML President to oversee and plan TIG-related events at the ISRHML biennial and affiliated conferences
- Review all TIG-related materials and correspondence (e.g., flyers, newsletters) prior to distribution to the TIG-at-large
- Coordinate and lead regular TIG Governing Committee conference calls
- Work with the TIG secretary to create the agenda before each governing committee meeting
- Make annual reports for the ISRHML Executive Committee
- Welcome new members to TIG (e.g., welcome letter)
4.1.3 President-Elect (one-year term)
The President-elect is elected the year after the current President has completed one year of their term. This one-year President-elect term is intended to familiarize them to the current status of the committee before taking office as President.
- The TIG President-Elect should participate in ISRHML Executive Committee meetings as a non-voting attendee. This helps to streamline communications between the ISRHML Executive and TIG Governing Committees.
- Work with the TIG President to carry out the President’s strategic focus
- Work with the Membership & Recruitment Chair and TIG President to help oversee the TIG Global Recruitment Committee (GRC) and general TIG membership initiatives
- Attend ISRHML Executive Committee meetings with the TIG President
- Assist the TIG President in TIG-sponsored event planning
- Assume President duties when the TIG President is not available
4.1.4 Immediate Past-President (one-year term)
- The immediate President shall become the Past-President upon completion of their term as President and serve up to one-year, as long as needed by the acting President and feasible for the immediate Past President
- The immediate Past-President will remain as a member of the TIG governing committee to provide continuity and assistance as needed to the officers
- The immediate Past President should assume presidential duties should the acting President fall ill or is otherwise be unable to fulfil their duties (e.g. maternity leave, etc.) in the years that there is no President-Elect
4.1.5 Secretary (two-year term)
- Assist the TIG President and President-elect with administrative tasks, including the annual TIG elections
- Assist the TIG President with creating and circulating meeting agendas in advance of the TIG Governing Committee and other TIG committees (e.g., Global Recruitment Committee)
- Record meeting minutes for the TIG Governing Committee and associated TIG committees and circulate to the committees thereafter in a timely manner
- Archive agenda and minutes with ISRHML, after approval from the TIG Governing Committee
- Monitor the TIG governing committee Gmail account
- Help organize TIG governing committee files and documents
4.1.6 Trainee Mentorship Series Coordinator (two-year term)
- Lead efforts to define areas/topics of interest for the Trainee Mentorship Series webinars, in conjunction with the ISRHML Executive Committee, TIG advisors and TIG President.
- Reach out to potential speakers and organize/coordinate the Trainee Mentorship Series webinars on a bimonthly basis, at minimum
- Coordinate networking opportunities for trainees to meet each other and other experts/senior ISRHML members
- Coordination of TIG volunteers to help host the Trainee Mentorship Series webinars and other TIG-related events
4.1.7 Membership & Recruitment Chair (two-year term)
Nominations for the Membership & Recruitment Chair are eligible to trainee members who are currently involved with the TIG Global Recruitment Committee (GRC).
- Assist the TIG governing committee with developing a strategy for TIG global recruitment and with helping to organize membership & recruitment activities
- Regularly acquire a current list of active TIG members from ISRHML staff and update the TIG governing committee on recruitment progress
- Coordinate logistics for the TIG Global Recruitment Committee (GRC)
- Recruit new trainee committee members from each world region
- Schedule and hold regular meetings with GRC members
- Assist in coordinating ISRHML regional webinars, if needed
- Help to find members to translate materials into non-English languages, if needed
- General coordination of TIG volunteers in the TIG GRC
- Help improve diversity and inclusion within the ISRHML TIG membership
- Reach out to trainee members with lapsed memberships
4.1.8 Social Media & Communications Chair (two-year term)
Nominations for the Social Media & Communications Chair are eligible to trainee members currently participating as a volunteer or committee member with the ISRHML Social Media (SoMe) committee.
- Design promotional material (e.g., recruitment materials, flyers, videos, etc) for TIG initiatives and events
- Work in conjunction with ISRHML executive committee and staff to advertise TIG sponsored activities and events (i.e. Trainee Mentorship Series Events)
- Participate in the ISRHML Social Media (SoMe) committee
- Organize social media advertisement, engagement, and outreach on topics related to human milk/lactation research
4.1.9 Newsletter & Blog Editor (two-year term)
- Manage the TIG blog and publish contents with the approval of the TIG President, ISRHML President, and TIG Advisors
- Compile the quarterly Newsletter (Milk Minutes) with the approval of the TIG President, ISRHML President, and TIG Advisors
- Engage with the TIG-at-large to acquire photos and accomplishments of trainees
- Coordination of TIG volunteers (e.g., guest writers/editors) to contribute to the blog and Milk Minutes newsletter
4.1.10 TIG Advisors (two-year term)
The two TIG advisors are suggested by the TIG governing committee and appointed by the ISRHML President on alternating years to provide guidance and support to the TIG.
- Provide guidance and support as appropriate to the TIG governing committee officers
- Serve as a liaison between the TIG and the ISRHML executive council
- Work with the ISRHML president and president-elect to ensure the TIG shares the ISRHML mission and that TIG is involved in larger ISRHML activities
- Proofread, edit, and approve TIG communications (e.g., newsletter, blog, promotional materials)
- The two advisor positions shall be staggered to ensure continuity of support
4.1.11 Past TIG Advisor
- Provide continuity between the TIG and the ISRHML executive council during transition periods with new TIG advisors
4.2 TIG Governing Committee Elections
4.2.1 General Election Information
TIG governing committee elections shall take place annually coinciding with the ISRHML Executive Committee elections. TIG officers should meet certain prerequisites to be eligible to run for office:
- TIG members are permitted to run for one vacant officer position at a time. To ensure election integrity, candidates must submit their nomination materials in a timely manner in accordance with set deadlines without exception.
- TIG officer candidates should be current ISRHML trainee members for at least one year before running for office (with actively paid membership dues).
- Associate and full ISRHML members are not eligible to run for TIG officer positions.
- Candidates should anticipate being a trainee for the majority of their term in office.
- TIG officer positions are elected and not appointed positions. Invitation of additional persons to assist in TIG officer duties requires approval of the TIG governing committee and TIG advisors.
- TIG officers can hold additional positions within ISRHML during their term if they choose to, but are still expected to perform all the duties outlined for their position.
4.2.2 Election Nomination Process
Open positions on the TIG Governing Committee are announced annually to the TIG membership. Self-nominations are encouraged and shall be submitted to the TIG President. Applications should include:
- A statement of interest (including applicant qualifications, reasons for interest in the position applied, and goals if elected for the position)
- A curriculum vitae
Applications must be complete and submitted before or on the deadline to be considered. Applications will be reviewed by the TIG Governing Committee to ensure the nominee has met all prerequisites, as outlined in section 4.2.1. Application materials of the eligible nominees will be shared with the TIG-at-large at the time of voting.
Given the significant involvement of the Social Media & Communications Chair with the SoMe committee and the Membership & Recruitment Chair with the TIG GRC, nominations for these positions will be open to individuals participating in these respective committees. If no nominations are received from within the committees, only then will nominations to open to the TIG-at-large.
For all other positions, a call for nominations will be circulated to the TIG membership. Preference will be given to current TIG members with previous involvement with the ISRHML TIG and/or other leadership experience. Following nominations, the TIG-at-large will have an opportunity to vote for the nominees of each open position. The positions will be officially appointed by the TIG President following membership voting and additional discussion and recommendations from the TIG Advisors and ISRHML President.
4.3 TIG Governing Committee Meetings
The TIG Governing Committee should have a minimum of four conference calls per membership year. Additionally, the TIG Governing Committee shall have one in-person meeting during the biennial ISRHML conference. In case a member is unable to attend a meeting, they shall notify the TIG President ahead of time. Quorum (70% Governing Committee membership) shall be reached for each meeting, unless in urgent/time-sensitive situations as identified by the TIG President.
Items that require motion and voting include, but are not limited to: meeting agenda and minutes, activities involving financial support from the ISRHML Executive Committee, significant changes to current operating processes that will affect TIG membership, and event planning.
5.0 TIG GLOBAL RECRUITMENT COMMITTEE
5.1 Purpose of the TIG Global Recruitment Committee
The Trainee Interest Group (TIG) Global Recruitment Committee (GRC) was established in an effort to increase our trainee membership globally (especially in low and middle-income countries).
5.2 Global Recruitment Committee Objectives
- Increase trainee membership globally (especially in low and middle-income countries)
- Advertise TIG initiatives and encourage trainee engagement within each world region
- Support the ISRHML regional webinars as trainee co-hosts
5.3 Global Recruitment Committee Structure and Member Duties
The GRC includes members of the TIG Governing Committee (President, President-Elect, Membership & Recruitment Chair, Secretary) and trainee regional representatives for each world region. Regional representatives for each world region are nominated by the GRC and appointed by the TIG Governing Committee. Regional representatives must be trainee members of ISRHML in good standing.
5.3.1 TIG President
- Liaise between the ISRHML Executive Committee, TIG Governing Committee, and GRC
- Provide strategic oversight to the GRC, as needed
- Work with the TIG Membership & Recruitment Chair to steer GRC meetings
5.3.2 TIG President-Elect
- Work with the TIG President to provide strategic oversight to the GRC
- Work with the TIG Membership & Recruitment Chair to organize logistics of the GRC, if needed
5.3.3 TIG Membership & Recruitment Chair
- Work with GRC members and TIG governing committee to create a strategy for TIG global recruitment
- Coordinate logistics for the GRC
- Recruit new trainee members for each world region annually
- Schedule and hold regular meetings with GRC members
- Assist in coordinating webinars, if needed
- Help to find members to translate materials into non-English languages, if needed
- Help to improve diversity and inclusion within the GRC and associated initiatives/webinars
5.3.4 TIG Secretary
- Work with TIG President/President-Elect and TIG Membership & Recruitment Chair to create and circulate meeting agendas
- Record minutes and circulate to GRC members, after approval from the TIG President/President-Elect and Membership & Recruitment Chair
- Provide administrative assistance to the TIG President/President-Elect and TIG Membership & Recruitment Chair, as needed
5.3.5 Regional Representatives (one-year term)
- Work with senior co-host(s) to organize and schedule webinars within their world region
- Reach out to trainees within their world region to promote TIG initiatives/events, and to translate and share recruitment materials